All American Martial Arts Overview

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Do You Know the Tenets of Taekwondo?

Taekwondo has five chief tenets that it emphasizes.  We believe these principles are at the heart of what it means to be a true Martial Artist.  They define the characteristics we want each of our students to develop and insist that each of our black belts display.

At All American Martial Arts, we believe so strongly in these tenets that we created a student creed that incorporates them.  Below is that creed:

"As a student of All American Martial Arts I will follow the principles of Taekwondo:

Courtesy - I will be polite and considerate of others;
Integrity -  I will act with honesty and respect;
Perseverance - I will face the challenges and obstacles of life with confidence, determination, and fearlessness;
Self-Control - I will discipline my mind, body, and spirit in those things that will lead to a purposeful life;
Indomitable Spirit - I will not let circumstances determine my actions or my success.

I will show respect to my instructors and my school, give my full attention and energy to every effort I make, and I will seek to assist others.  I am a student of All American Martial Arts and this is my creed."

If you are looking for a Martial Arts school to attend, take the time to ask the instructor about the tenets of the school's particular discipline.  While they don't necessarily have to have a school creed, the instructor should be able to articulate the basic principles associated with his or her discipline. 

If they can't, it's a pretty good indication that school doesn't spend much time emphasizing the important character traits associated with the Martial Arts.  This would be like teaching players all the skills needed to play football but never teaching them the rules of the game.

The Martial Arts are about more than just kicking and punching.  They are about a way of life that provides the foundation of success in every area of the student's life.  As you look for a Martial Arts school, make sure the school you choose emphasizes this important aspect of the Martial Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment